Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- State of Illinois Law Enforcement Certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a law enforcement officer. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement.)
- Citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old.
- Education – High School diploma or its equivalent and an Associate’s Degree (Associate’s Degree requirement waived for qualifying military service).
- Experience – at least 2 years’ experience as a full-time sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years preceding the date of application. Municipal experience preferred.
- Applicant must be in good standing in the police department in which the person serves, or laid off due to budgetary restraints.
- Possess substantially equivalent skills and abilities of a Village of Huntley Police Officer who has completed the probationary period, as determined by the Village.
Candidates for new recruit appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications at the time of application:
- U.S. citizenship or permanent legal resident of the United States;
- No convictions for felony offenses or crimes of moral turpitude (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration);
- Possess an Associate's Degree awarded by an accredited college or community college*;
- Associate's Degree may be waived if one or more of the following applies: a) Applicant has served for at least 24 months of honorable active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, b) Applicant has served for 180 days of Honorable active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces in combat duty recognized by the Department of Defense, c) Applicant has a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college, or university, -OR- successfully received credit for a minimum of 60 earned credit hours towards a degree from an accredited college or university;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license and good driving record;
- Possess a valid FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Card) at time of appointment;
- Minimum of 21 years of age -AND- Be 35 years of age or under at the time of application, unless the candidate is exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Police Commissioners' Act;
- Possess a valid Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Test Card with an issue date no more than 6 months prior to the application deadline date. POWER Test Cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.
- Successfully pass an oral interview, polygraph, psychological evaluation, a pre-employment physical and drug screen, and any other examinations deemed necessary by the Village of Huntley;